Monday, August 23, 2010

You Can See Dead People With Ghost Whisperer

Thanks for the guest post by Kristofer Bartlett

I was annoyed when Joan of Arcadia, one of my favorite television shows at the time, went off the air, to be replaced with "Ghost Whisperer," another show with a supernatural theme but a worldview that was much less Christian and more New Agey.

I was determined not to like it, but then I happened upon an episode in which Melinda Gordon, a young antique shop owner who is capable of communicating with the dead, befriends the ghosts of several orphans who were killed in an orphanage fire several decades earlier. Her task was two-fold: to convince the boys to "cross over" and to persuade their onetime companion, now an elderly mogul, not to destroy the building where they still reside.

I found myself so touched by the story that I couldn't help giving the series a bit of a pass. One thing I had to say for Melinda: she was a lot less angsty than Joan. Played by Jennifer Love Hewitt, Melinda is a very kind woman who never charges for her psychic services. She also tells very few people what she is capable of doing. Her husband Jim knows, though, and is used to her abilities taking her life in very strange directions.

Now, whenever I catch "Ghost Whisperer" on tv since I had my satellite dish installation, I tune in to see how Melinda will help the ghost of the week.


Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Mel Alarilla said...

I have not seen this show yet. What I know is that the New Age Group are against Christian teachings. They pretend to be preaching in the name of Christ but theirs are deceptions bent on misleading people. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

Related Posts with Thumbnails